Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mama Bears

Everyone knows not to mess with a bear cub--even people who've never been in the woods where bears like to roam. We've all read stories or seen documentaries about bear attacks instigated when a mama bear decides her cub is threatened. You just don't go near a bear cub, no matter how cute and cuddly they appear.

Human mothers are a lot like bear moms. If you want to see an average, run-of-the-mill housewife become superwoman in an instant, threaten her child. She'll react quicker than you can realize you made a big mistake!

I've never been a very pushy, forward person. That was part of me that I knew would have to change if I continued in my chosen profession--journalism. While I haven't stayed in the journalism world I trained for and grew to love, I think I would be better as a reporter now because I have gained the "mama bear" attitude.

Over the past few months, I've seen myself take initiative, stand up for myself and push a little more than I used to in several situations--some directly related to my little "cub" and some with no bearing on her at all. Who knew motherhood could change a woman's whole attitude and outlook on life as well as the way she deals with others?

No comments:

 
Custom Search